Yesterday evening, some of the LID Publishing Marketing and PR team attended a panel discussion at WeWork Shoreditch to hear about ‘The State of Media & Publishing in a Digital Age’.
The event was organised by 93 Digital UK and Biblilo at WeWork. The featured panellists were from Physics Journal, Finimize, Running in Heels and Suitcase Media.
The discussion tackled the sweeping statements such as ‘print is dead’. The publishing industry is branded as dying and on the decline. However, the inspiring and fact-led talks from the panel showed otherwise.
In magazines and book publishing the publishing panel continually quoted that:
“Content is king”
The assumption is that the entire media and publishing industry as declining. However, the trends have shown that magazines and publishing houses with quality content and therefore a loyal and engaged audience are thriving.
This has been reflected in the 12% growth predicted by 2020 in digital magazine revenues. Although print may have declined on a whole, the industry has adapted. Now they produce high quality and engaging print that people are happy to pay for or focus their efforts on digital platforms.
Linda Blank from Suitcase Media gave some valuable takeaways from her experience at Suitcase Media:
- Print is noty dead – targeted luxury products are sought after, you just have to know how to use it
- Find your niche – work on being a thought leader in a specific area
- Foster a community – reward loyal readers and tailor their online experience and offline experince
- Be assertive in your tone of voice – keep this consistent and maintain a high level of quality content
- Be creative – make sure you8 are open to new opportuities
Comments are closed